Wednesday, January 17, 2018

A calmer night, a balmy walk


Puppy at peace
Oh, such a lovely night. Twenty-something degrees, and I walked with both dogs and we ran into a neighbor, and she walked with us, and Angus did so well on the leash and Rosie trotted along like the pro she is, and at an intersection we saw a man with a bicycle who had stopped to text or check his phone for something or other, and I asked him if he would mind meeting a puppy and even though he was very clearly not a dog person, he complied.

Angus is supposed to meet ten people every week and they are supposed to give him treats, but I tell you, in this weather, it's just not possible.

And I am leaving for New York on Friday night and I will not see Angus for hours and hours and hours. I love going to New York but in some ways this will feel like a wasted weekend--I won't be home until Sunday afternoon! I will miss two days of his little life! (Oh god--what if he doubles in size?)

Meal time went smoothly. Doug got their bowls ready while we were walking, and we blockaded Rosie in the kitchen and fed her, and fed Angus out in the front hall, and Rosie got to eat first (which I have learned is the right way to do it--status, and all) and all was peaceful.

And now Doug has them both in the back yard and the teakettle is whistling and all is right in our little doggie world.

My goodness, what big paws you have!
More adventures ahead, I am sure, most likely involving counter surfing (Angus likes to jump) and cabinet-eating (he has taken to licking the outside of the dishwasher, which serves to remind me what a haphazard housekeeper I am) and, of course, chewing. He likes to pull the socks off my feet and then race around with them.

But for now, tonight, all is peaceful.



4 comments:

  1. You’re doing great! I wish we had a yard, but the tennis courts are being used, so that’s good. Puppy biting? How do I deal with that greeting at 5 am?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppy biting will go on and on, I'm afraid. You're supposed to squeak in pain and wheel around and have nothing to do with the dog for 15 full seconds. With Angus, he just dashes off and plays with Rosie or a toy or something and is not getting the idea that I am shunning him. Eventually those puppy teeth will fall out and they'll get the message. Those two things seem to happen at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Glad you figured out dinner protocol. Like the British aristocracy, dogs care a lot about mealtime precedence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not the current puppy teacher, but the previous one--the one we had when Rosie was a baby--who said "baby eats first!" And that actually worked great for Rosie and Riley but it was because of Riley--he always hid under a table when meals were being prepared.

      Delete

Are you looking for Angus stories?

Because of course they never end. But Angus has moved to the Star Tribune---I probably will not be updating this blog much. But you ca...