Thursday, January 11, 2018

Please do not step on the puppy


Angus is great at getting up the stairs. But he cannot yet get down.

Oh, January thaw has been great. I am so sorry it's over.

Yesterday morning, a balmy 36 degrees (!!!), Rosie and Angus played in the back yard while I (a) made lunches; (b) put dinner in the crock pot; (c) took a shower. So easy! They played, they were safe, they entertained each other, and I was able to get things done without fear of stepping on a small fast-moving furry creature that seems happiest when he is right underneath my feet.

They had fun, they wore each other out (more or less--actually, less), and Angus learned that he can have fun and play without my taking part. (This is important. I like to play with him, but he needs to also play without me.)

Last night it was still warm and misting when Doug put them out at 9:30, and this morning: everything is coated in ice. We were supposed to get a half-foot of snow, but instead we got freezing rain that turned into a thick glaze. It is ugly, and dangerous. And we are now headed back into the deep freeze.

So the dogs are back to playing in the living room, and I am back to worrying about house peeing and stepping on the puppy.

The Angus in this picture is smaller than appears.

I took Angus and Rosie together on a leash walk the other evening, and while Rosie is beautifully trained and walks at my right side nicely, leash loose, doing everything right (unless she sees a rabbit), we haven't yet started that part of Angus' training (he's just little, he would like to remind you) and he darted all over the place even though I kept his leash as tight as I could. Behind me, in front of me, under me, off to the left, zip toward Rosie, zip back again. We only went about six blocks because I didn't trust myself not to crush him if we went any farther.

Puppy class no. 2 on Saturday, and then a photo session with Shuttersmack.

And then the following weekend I'm off to New York for a few days and Doug will be flying solo.  Pray for him.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing wee Angus with us! I love my morning visit with him now that Roddy Doyle is gone. And, he is preparing me for a possible future. Joan Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your little Roddy Doyle, who was so adorable. Did you know that we briefly considered Roddy Doyle for Angus' name? It's such a great name. For a writer OR a pup.

      Delete
  2. Now I can start my day. Thanks, Laurie and Doug? You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Are you looking for Angus stories?

Because of course they never end. But Angus has moved to the Star Tribune---I probably will not be updating this blog much. But you ca...